The subdivisions (schools, townships, villages, city, and the county) are the taxing authorities.  Each year, these taxing authorities calculate the operating funds they need.  If their current funding is insufficient, they can request a levy be placed on the ballot for a vote of the people.  This levy is called "outside millage"; therefore, your tax rate can be increased by a vote of the majority of people to approve a levy or bond.